Welcome to Tumpak Sewu Waterfall, one of the World’s Most Beautiful Waterfalls!
This fairly unknown spot is located in Lumajang Regency, East Java, Indonesia. It is also known as Coban Sewu. The “Tumpak Sewu” in Javanese means “Thousand Waterfalls”. It took us a 7-hour drive to reach this waterfall from Surabaya Airport.
My driver joined me on my first ever visit to a waterfall. I was really happy that I wasn’t coming alone. At least, if anything unfortunate would happen to me, he could ask for help. But to my surprise, he was the one who needed help (LOL). I’ve researched before coming here and it was said that the hike was dangerous and challenging! I prepared myself. I held on to my dear life while climbing down bamboo ladders and metal railings lashed onto the edge of the cliff.
There was one part where we had to get our feet wet as we walked across a running stream that flows down and across the cliff. There was also that part where we had to cross a strong and fast running river upstream with only a rope to aid us. It can be very slippery at the most parts of the trail. It was calm and incredibly awesome to be one with nature. I am lost for words to describe this incredible creation of mother nature. It’s a place I’ll never forget!
I was in absolute awe when we reached the bottom after 30 minutes. The towering cliffs that surrounded us made me feel smaller. We were lucky we’re only a few people on this day. It’s becoming a popular tourist destination in Indonesia.
The waterfall itself is amazing but it was more than that. It was the challenge of overcoming my goals which makes the adventure and experience all the more fun! The tough hike up and down was part of the amazing experience I had.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO TO TUMPAK SEWU WATERFALL
- The best time to visit Tumpak Sewu is in the dry season which is the months of May through to November, although be prepared for an unexpected downpour of rain as it is very unpredictable weather in these mountains.
- Wear comfortable footwear
- Bring drinking water with you which you can buy in the carpark
- You have to be physically and emotionally fit to do this hike
- Your phone and camera will definitely get wet!
- Use a waterproof bag
- The place has a cool temperature but still you will sweat a lot
- Go on a weekday so you can have the waterfall for yourself